Sunday, March 13, 2022

I've Never Heard Silence Quite This Loud

 All this talk about pre-production and production has clouded my brain to the point that I have barely thought about post-production. Who knew that films aren't just magically ready after the filming process is done? (insert gasping sound effect) I decided it would be a smart idea to start thinking about this as soon as possible since editing will be done for the duration of one week, and I don't really want my film opening to just be utter, complete silence. As a result, this post is dedicated to sound editing. Without sound editing, it can be unclear as to what characters in a film are doing. Without sound editing, you might as well throw your film in a time machine to the 1890s because that's the only time where silence in film is normalized. My partner and I did a sound editing project near the beginning of the year and we learned the hard way that not all objects sound like they are supposed to sound. You would expect walking on the street to sound like you are walking on the street, but it doesn't! 

We have compiled a list of the major sounds that we need to edit into our film opening, either through foley or making those audio snippets ourselves (insert applauding sound effect). One of the main noises we use is the typing noise, which could be made by just typing keys on a computer. For the opening, we use a voiceover of Malia's character as well as a score which will be provided by one of our friends who produces music (the backup plan is using copyright-free music). We also need to produce the sound of paper ripping which cannot just be produced by actually ripping paper since it will not sound as crisp. Next, we need the sound of a car or bus horn which we can find in a sound bank or record a car horn beeping. Additionally, we need to have an iPhone notification sound that we could just record from an actual iPhone. I think our biggest challenge will be trying to mimic the sounds heard when driving, such as the wind, other cars around you, the radio slightly turned on, etc. The goal is to try to produce as many natural sounds as we can, however, we do not want to sacrifice the quality of the piece out of convenience. As a result, we will edit any sound that does not sound as crisp as we would like it to. (insert inspiring music sound effect)

P.S. The title of this blog post may or may not be a reference to a Taylor Swift song, but I couldn't help myself ok. Sue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

That's A Wrap

      Surprise!!! I am still here and I am back for one final post. As you may have already seen, the film opening is completed and now read...